Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Tale of Two Eggs

I got a little ambitious this morning and decided to try a Zumba class followed immediately by a kickboxing class. Talk about sweaty! But, suffice it to say, I've gotten my exercise for the day and came home, ravenous. I stopped at the store to get some more strawberries (the quart my friend and I split doesn't quite give me enough for the rhubarb strawberry crumble I plan on trying) and headed into the house, thinking about fixing a big breakfast. I had chopped up about equal amounts of potato and onion and cooked them over medium heat in a few tablespoons of butter for about 20-25 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes. I used a slice off my loaf of whole wheat bread from the farm share for a piece of toast and decided to conduct an experiment.

I had 6 conventional eggs and 6 of the eggs from the farm share. You always read articles telling you that organic eggs are better, they have more color, etc. Not often I have the chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

Well, here you go, a tale of two eggs:



The egg on the left is the conventional egg. The egg on the right is the organic egg. Please note yolk size and color. I also noticed the white on the organic egg was not as watery as the conventional egg (and for the record, my conventional eggs have a sellby date of next week). I have been working on my egg-frying technique for a while. I've decided the real trick is to have the right spatula to flip the darn things. I have one that works, but I feel like there's probably a better one out there.

So, the eggs are fried, and added to my plate of homemade hash browns (garnished with some spring onions from my share this week) and the slab of wheat toast. Dang. Looks good, and I'm starving.



So, which is the conventional egg and which is the organic one? Once they've been fried, it was harder to tell (yes, I knew which was which in the pan, but my point to the photo is that you can't judge a book by its cover). However, as soon as I cut into one the answer was quite clear.



The egg on the left is the organic one. The egg on the right is the conventional one. Seeing the two colors side by side really does make you wonder. Tastewise, yes, they taste different. The organic egg had so much more flavor! I usually buy organic eggs, but sometimes, I decide that conventional ones will be just fine. Conducting my little experiment today means that I really do prefer organic eggs. Psychologically, I'd like to think the chickens are treated better. From a sheer cooking standpoint and taste standpoint, they just taste better.

2 comments:

  1. I so agree. The only eggs that will come into the house now are from what we call "happy chickens" (i.e. organic, free-range). They really do taste so much better. I didn't realize there would also be such a visual difference after being cooked.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man - i buy the organic eggs if i have a really fancy baking project, but for regular cooking i use the regular eggs. now i'll have to buy the organic eggs ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete