Thursday, June 3, 2010

Eating Locally -- Farm Share, Week 1

For the last three years, I've been participating in a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture). I was really impressed when I found that Lakewood, Ohio, offers a lot of choices for CSAs through several different cooperatives. City Fresh, Covered Bridge, and Geauga Family Farms are a few of the offerings through the Lakewood Earth and Food Community (LEAF). My friend Robin and I last year split a full-share and decided to do that again this year. We selected the Geauga Family Farms, LLC. They are a cooperative of 10 Amish farmers east of Cleveland in Geauga County, offering certified organic produce along with some conventionally grown fruit. They also offer things like eggs, breads, cheeses, meats, etc.

We prepaid for the season back in April. They offer a 20-week season and it ended up boiling down to about $32 a week for a full share ($16 each). We got our first bounty today. If today is any indication, I think I'm going to like this CSA.

Here's my share from this week:

I've got 2 heads of red leaf lettuce, a head of romaine, some spring onions, rhubarb, radishes, strawberries, and half a dozen eggs. Not pictured: half a loaf of homemade wheat bread and half a pound of popcorn.

My goal this summer is not to waste any of this gorgeous produce! Next step -- find a recipe for a strawberry rhubarb tart or crisp or something.

4 comments:

  1. Painfully jealous. Up here we don't get produce until late July and August. I'm on the hunt for fresh eggs. Nothing like it! Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, left something out of my list -- broccoli (but it looks more like broccolini, which is even better!) Thanks, Karin -- are you guys planning your garden yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was digging around in my cookbooks tonight for a rhubarb recipe. Oh, and an artful picture, if I do say so myself. I haven't tried the bread yet but think I just might go do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you got bread and eggs, too? That's awesome. I've been meaning to try one of those, but it's probably too late to sign up for this year.

    ReplyDelete