Thursday, June 10, 2010

Eating Locally -- Farm Share Week 2

Week 2 and it's another day to pick up my share of locally-grown organic produce. I still have a few things left over from last week (perishables like salad greens and onions and I still have some eggs, bread and popcorn). I'm really diggin' this CSA. I feel like I'm getting my $16 worth each week, that's for sure. In this week's bounty, my take ended up being:


Strawberries, pac-choy (like bok choy, just all green), spring onions, beets, kohlrabi, swiss chard, garlic scapes, some blackberry jam, a tomato, and of course, more lettuce -- beautiful red leaf and green lettuce this week. The heads were huge, so Robin and I just tore them apart to split.

I'm already plotting my grilled salmon with sauteed mushrooms and the pac-choy (sauteed with sesame oil, soy sauce and garlic) and a fantastic salad with roasted beets, goat cheese (or blue, whatever I have) and some toasted pecans (or walnuts, whatever I have in the freezer). I will say, tho, I've never bought, stored, prepped or eaten kolhrabi, so I'm looking for ideas there. I'm also not sure how I'll fix the red chard. I'll figure it out, tho.

In the meantime, anyone want some salad?

2 comments:

  1. We looooove chard at our house. It freezes well and can be added in place of spinach in any recipe. We put it in soup, in spaghetti sauce, in omelets, in grilled cheese sandwiches, sauteed with garlic and in the following recipe. In fact, this is our Christmas dinner every year, because Hazel gets to choose her birthday dinner and this is her favorite. Call it Christmas Chard if you like.

    1 lb firm tofu
    2 large bunches of chard (or other greens)
    Udon noodles

    Marinade:
    3 cloves of garlic, sliced
    4-5 slices (1/8" thick) fresh ginger
    1 cup water
    1 T. brown rice vinegar
    1 T. toasted sesame oil
    1/3 cup tamari or shoyu soy sauce

    Sauce:
    1/4 creamy cashew butter
    2 tsp. maple syrup
    2 T. tamari (or shoyu)
    1 T. brown rice vinegar
    1 tsp. grated ginger
    1-2 tsp. hot pepper oil
    1/3 cup water

    Marinate sliced tofu overnight in a covered, glass container. Drain tofu and fry in a few T. oil until browned on all sides. Set aside.

    Wash greens by soaking in a sink full of cold water. Bring 2 quarts of fresh water and 1/2 tsp. of salt to boil in a large pot. Submerge greens and boil until tender and juicy (maybe 5 minutes). Strain out greens, squeeze out excess water and chop. Set aside.

    Boil udon noodles in chard-water until cooked (maybe 10 minutes). Drain. Set aside.

    Whisk sauce ingredients in small sauce pan on low heat until desired consistency. Try not to let it boil. Add more water if needed.

    In a large serving dish, combine all and serve warm. Makes 4 large servings for adults. Sometimes it's nice to double the sauce recipe. Inspired by Mothering Magazine July/August 2005. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kohlrabi can be just eaten as it is! washed of course and trim off the end (i'm remembering as i write), but it tastes similar to celery.

    ReplyDelete