Monday, June 7, 2010

38-year-old virgin.... for rhubarb

Rhubarb is one of those mystery vegetables that just sounded weird to me as a child ("Roooobarb?! What the heck is roooooobarb?"). No one in my immediate family ever cooked with it. In my head, it was red celery. Stringy. Freak vegetable.

I also know that my palette has evolved considerably over the years. I also used to hate mushrooms, mustard, scallops, salmon, ahi tuna, etc. I still can't quite get on board with aspic, but at some point, I'll end up at a fabulous restaurant where I'll try it, then extol its virtues to anyone who will listen.

Since I'd gotten some rhubarb in my farm share this past week, I wanted to give it a whirl. How do I cook it? Do I peel it? I spent some time looking up rhubarb recipes that also used strawberries. I settled on a recipe for Rhubarb Strawberry crumble. I scrubbed my rhubarb and chopped it into 1/2 in chunks. I added 4 cups of strawberries (using up all the rhubarb and the strawberries from my farm share, plus some extra berries) that I tossed in 1/2 a cup of sugar and 1-1/2 tsp of my new favorite thing -- Vanilla Bean Paste (just vanilla seeds in liquid -- cheaper than buying vanilla beans and great flavor). I made a crumble topping with 3/4 c. flour, 2/3 c. sugar, 1/2 c. rolled oats, and 1/2 c. pecans. The recipe called for hulled hazelnuts, but I didn't have any of those. I have tons of pecans in my freezer from last year. I toasted these and chopped them coarsely. Put the rhubarb strawberry mixture into a greased 8x8 glass baking dish and topped with the crumble. Baked for 40 minutes at 375, until the topping was browned and the filling was bubbling.


I will also be the first to tell you that the equation of fruit + sugar + vanilla +
crumbly topping (equal parts butter and flour) + 45 minutes of heat = one of my favorite desserts. Peaches + gingersnaps and some lemon juice? Yummy. Blueberries and a biscuit topping? Nirvana. Apples + cinnamon? Proof that God loves us. So, I expected to like the strawberry rhubarb crumble, bubbling away in my oven. My house soon had the comforting smell of baking fruit and I couldn't wait for it to be done.


Really, all you need is a big spoon and a blob of vanilla ice cream. Rhubarb, I think you and I are going to be friends. With benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment