Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Night Dinner -- Posh Squash

Sunday night dinner growing up meant dinner at my grandparents' house. Dub and Brownie were married for 60 years and we went to dinner there almost every Sunday that I can remember. That's also where I remember having birthday dinners and holiday dinners until my grandparents were well into their 80s. My grandmother died in 2004 and my grandfather died in 2007. I am so grateful that I had them in my life for so long and miss them terribly.

Over the past few years, I've been digging around the family tree. I got hooked on that show "Who Do You Think You Are," signed up for an ancestry.com membership and started snooping around. The last couple of months have brought great dividends from this research. I'm now connecting with cousins I didn't know I had and we're sharing all sorts of information on my grandmother's family line.

Tonight, I was trying to decide what to make for dinner and staring into my fridge, I saw several yellow squash that had come from my CSA share. I could only think of one thing to do with it -- make my grandmother's Posh Squash. This is a great way to use up a few of those leftover squashes before they get squishy and gross. It's a nice, homey, satisfying casserole that will work well with just about anything. I roasted a few boneless, skinless chicken pieces to have with my dinner.

You'll need:

2 cups cooked yellow squash (I used two squash, sauteed with 1/4 of a large onion that I'd diced and cooked in olive oil).
2 T sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 beaten egg
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper (small pinch of each)

Preheat oven to 350. Cook squash. Mix together other ingredients in a bowl.  Once the squash is cooked, add it to the mixture and toss to combine. Pour into a greased casserole dish (I used an 8x8 baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray) and bake for 25 minutes.

Optional topping -- top with 1/2 cup toasted pecans. Now, if I were to embellish this a little, I think it would be good with either a bread crumb or a ritz cracker topping of some sort. Maybe I'll try that next time.




Tonight's dinner -- roasted chicken, steamed green beans and posh squash. This one's for you, Brownie.



No comments:

Post a Comment