Monday, July 15, 2013

Recreating a favorite restaurant dish

I spent ten wonderful years living in Chicago. I don't get back there now as often as I would like. I have lots of friends still living there that I don't get to see nearly enough (seriously, peeps, I miss you all like crazy). A weekend ritual the last five years I lived there usually meant at least one brunch at M. Henry (and yes, I'm one of those restaurant snobs who prides herself on having discovered this place before you had to wait 90 minutes for a table for 2). I credit this restaurant for showing me the magic of poached eggs, amazing variations on french toast and pancakes, and a lunch item I've been trying to recreate ever since -- the azteca black bean bowl.

I loved this dish. It was satisfying in so many ways and there was always a ton left over, which I'd eat on for a couple of days. My recipe holds similar to the restaurant version, but I added a few embellishes.

1 c. short grain brown rice (uncooked)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Ro-tel, diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
1-2 ears of corn, kernels removed (optional)
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
olive oil
Chili Lime Rub (purchased at Williams-Sonoma)
Chicken tenders
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sour cream

Prepare rice according to directions -- set aside.

Remove kernels from the corn (if using), dice up the red and yellow peppers and place into a large bowl (I also had a small zucchini I needed to use up, so I chopped that up, too and added it in there).



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat chicken tenders with the chili lime rub and place in a baking dish coated with non-stick spray. Bake the chicken tenders for 25 minutes, or until fully cooked.

While the chicken is cooking, put 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan. Saute onions for 5-10 minutes until tender. Add the bowl of veggies and saute until the veggies are tender (another 5-7 minutes). When all of that is done, add the drained cans of black beans and ro-tel along with the brown rice and cook everything through until hot.


Slice up the chicken tenders, serve with a big spoonful of the brown rice mixture and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.



M Henry, I still think yours is better, but this is the closest I've ever gotten and it will do until I can get back to Chicago to have the real thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment