Monday, July 22, 2013

In the canner (but not really), Refrigerator Pickles

Farm share season is in full swing and this week, we got pickling cucumbers! My friend and I split a full share, so we each ended up with 7-8 pickling cukes, just enough for me to make a small batch of my favorite pickles -- bread and butter chips.





You'll need:

thinly sliced vidalia
8 small pickling cucumbers, unpeeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, sliced in half and then thinly sliced (I used half a large vidalia onion)
sugar, spice, and everything pickly
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
4-1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp chile flakes
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery seed


Place all ingredients into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Let cool for about 15 minutes and then pour into a large bowl and let cool completely.


Boiling pickles
2 half pint jars (almost)




Note: As refrigerator pickles, they'll keep for about a month. I'm pretty sure I could put these through the canner and store them for later. Maybe I'll try that for the next batch.



No comments:

Post a Comment